Click to subscribe to Pomeranian_Griffin
| History of Gross
(Release 1 / June 17th 1998)
1315 Site first mentioned as Tuchom in the charter of the country Tuchen
to the Swenzonian knight Kasimir von Tuchom.
1385 The area acquires by the Teutonic Order.
Designation of the place as Cotzmersch.
1400 The curator of Buetow, Jacob von Reinach, grants to the resident Staneken
the office of the village mayor.
1560 The paper mill (later: Upper mill) is set up besides the already existing
grain mill. In the chronicles the name Gross Tuchen appears. The majority
of the inhabitants convert to Protestantism in the middle of the
1637 The Land of Buetow comes as "vacant fief" following the death of the
heirless Pomeranian duke Bogislaw XIV under sovereignty of Poland for
1657 Prussia as an ally of Poland in the war between Poland and Sweden gains
Buetow and Lauenburg as "hereditary fief"
1670 The first evangelical church is completed.
1674 The village is destroyed by a great fire almost completely; 1695 as well.
1710 The school in Gross Tuchen is first mentioned. There was a school in Buetow
already in 1399.
1772 New settlers stimulate the growth of the village, resulting in large changes.
1780 There are already 2 churches, 2 grain mills, 1 paper mill, 1 inn and 1 forge.
1810 Gross Tuchen has 289 inhabitants, including 13 Catholics.
1855 Gross Tuchen has 715 inhabitants, including 59 Catholics.
1857 The road Buetow - Rummelsburg is built.
1889 the evangelical church is built. With 1000 seats this New Gothic building is
one of the largest churches in the district Buetow.
1905 Gross Tuchen has 880 inhabitants, including 97 Catholics. The catholic
St.Michaelis church is built.
1909 The railroad line from Buetow to Rummelsburg is opened to traffic.
1912 The main road Gross Tuchen - Zemmen is built.
1920 The road junctions to Moddrow, Klein Tuchen and Pyaschen are built.
1925 Gross Tuchen have 838 inhabitants, including 135 Catholics.
1933 Gross Tuchen count now 881 inhabitants (including 145 Catholics). Several
single family homes for large families and 4 customs offices are built.
A modern sports field is set up.
1938 Gross Tuchen count already 920 inhabitants. The number of the
Catholics decreases to 135.
1939 Gross Tuchen have 1002 inhabitants. World War II begins.
1945 January 24th : The rest of men fit for military service are called up into
the Volkssturm [auxiliary forces to support the German Army] and almost
untrained cast to the front line near Reckow and Schlawe.
Since mid-February Russian fighter aircraft assaulted the unsheltered
village. The first victims are children.
March 2nd : The German Army takes over the village and orders the evacuation
by 9 p.m. on evening. After all-day heavy air raids the population leaves
the village in small groups disoriented and seized with panic.
March 4th : The 70 Soviet army takes the offensive from the line of depart
of Reckow and Pyaschen circumventing the village across the Upper Mill,
Gross Massowitz and Wiesenthal. After 3 days of fierce actions the
fight is over. The soil around Gross Tuchen is covered with hundreds of
Russian and German soldiers killed in action.
March 7th 1945: The German history of Gross Tuchen has come to an end.
A part of the fled inhabitants return. The village is taken over by Polish
administration. The German inhabitants are without rights exposed to force
and humiliations. They are increasingly expropriated and expelled.
Poles and Ukrainians take possession of the German property, farms, houses
1946 By December most German inhabitants are expelled.
Now the village is called Tuchomie.
The use of the German language is not allowed any longer.
1958 Some Germans from East Germany are allowed to visit the village.
1975 Now, also western citizen are allowed to visit Gross Tuchen again.
1990 After the crash of the Communist regime a new conception of history
1997 On the former evangelical cemetery a memorial stone dedicated to those
Germans of Gross Tuchen who died in the home village is unveiled during
a solemn ceremony by the former expelled Germans of the village in the
presence of the Polish mayor, Polish inhabitants and the German minority.
In Tuchomie a permanent meeting center for Germans and Poles is set up
in the former school house of the village.