| 5. Traffic and
Bodies of Water
The railroad from Bütow to Rummelsburg was built in 1907/08 and on the 1st of December 1908 was opened for traffic and on the same day a horse was run over between Radesfelde and Groß Tuchen. It was first noticed at first light that a horse tail was hanging from the locomotive. Groß Tuchen had its own small station. In 1945 the Russians had the rails and other materials removed and they took them away. The stretch was never rebuilt. And so it is that today (1999) Groß Tuchen no longer has a rail connection.
The highway from Bütow to Rummelsburg was built in 1859. Until that time the post coach and other traffic had to use country roads. In 1912 a branch was built from Groß Tuchen to Zemmen. After World War I another was built from Groß Tuchen to Moddrow, Klein Tuchen, Tangen and Bütow and at the last from Groß Tuchen to Pyaschen (Franzwalde).
The farmers of Groß Tuchen had held the right since time immemorial to fish in the Groß Tuchen lakes for their own tables in the summer. Winter fishing, ice fishing, rights had been leased to the manager of the estate for years. There were 11 farmsteads whose owner had that right. The winter fishing rights had later been purchased from these farmers. It was in a dispute over taxes that it was learned that the estate treasurer was still the owner of the land. In 1911 the estate treasurer, having already sold several lakes, finally auctioned off the Groß Tuchen Lake as well. For this auction the estate treasurer, the forest master KRAUSE in Zerrin, set a date. Several bidders attended. The village administrator POLZIN's bid for the fishing rights was accepted. After several bids he had an offer of 3,100 Marks. Over time and due to the division of the farmsteads and due to the fact that a number of unauthorized persons had somehow slipped in it became clear that there were 31 partners. Under the titel: "Total Nmber Affected" each was registered in the registry and given one 31st part. When the National Socialists (Nazi) came into power in 1933 the rules for fishing were changed. The single fishermen were required to cease and all waters were leased to a professional fisherman. This came to pass in Groß Tuchen also. All fishing rights in Groß Tuchen were leased for about 3 Reichs Marks per year. The beautiful large carp and pike departed. The Russians with hand grenades and the Poles were the last to exploit the lakes. Later, for some inexplicable reason, the Poles drained the lakes. Today (1998) some thought is being given to allowing the lakes to fill up again.
The Kamenz River, which originates in the Kamenz Lake near Zemmen, flows directly past the Obermühle and through the village (where it formerly spread out to form the lakes). It empties into the Stolpe river near Alt Kolziglow (Kolczyglowy), which empties into the Baltic Sea near Stolpmünde (Ustka). One can fish the Kamenz (with a rod or basket), and crayfish can be found, for instance in perforated stones which are laid in the water so that the crayfish can creep in.